Friday, 25 May 2007

Waiting for the rising sun

It’s 06:22 (*) am, May 25 2007. It’s already day time, but I barely can see the road, from the coffee-shop of the gas station. Fog is still thick as a brick. I remember the first time I heard this album of Jethro Tull. I was a young boy, living in Angola, Africa, where I was born and lived until November 1976, when war thrown us out, bound for Portugal, a country where I’ve been once in my life, on holydays, when I was 11 years old. It was a lazy afternoon (probably a Sunday, as I was at home, so had no school) and I was listening to a popular Radio program (was it “Luanda 72”?) when they introduced the new album of Jethro Tull.
Many years after that, at Macau’s Law Faculty, where I attempted to change my life, forget newspapers and news and became a successful lawyer (guess what happened…) I had a fantastic professor of Economics. I remember when he explained basic market laws with the title of two of Rolling Stones most well known music’s: “I can’t get no satisfaction” and “You can’t always get what you want”. I learned more about Economy, during two months, at his classes, than in all of my life. When he told us a couple of things about the Industrial Revolution in England, I was amazed to find the explanation for the name “Jethro Tull”: he was a British who invented, in 1701, one the first mechanical systems to be applied to agriculture. Thank you, professor Duarte! Your clear explanation about how Economy works allow me to trust more on palm readers than in economists.
Now, it’s 7:12 (*) am. At last, I can see the road. Fog is disappearing. It’s time to go home. God, it’s only 40 km! I hope this time I can make it! Or perhaps is safer to walk instead of driving my moto… I’ll check the Portuguese Press, to give you a last update of news about Madeleine’s abduction, as most newspapers are already online. Be back soon.
(*) - I know, there seems to be something wrong with my posting hours! Only realized now that I saved the post, first, with the tittle, and than I wrote it. So, when I finished and posted it, had already the hour I saved the first draft, only with a tittle. It's 7:30 am, as I'm writing this note.